Thursday, November 4, 2010

It was implanted in our minds

All my life, born and raised in the United States it was implanted in my mind that there is certain things we should strive to be.
The television, advertisements, every aspect of our society has brainwashed us. Brainwashed into thinking bad about ourselves if we are not the right weight, think the right way, do everything the way which was predecided.
It has become normal to be anorexic or belimic, which are two of the most common eating disorders. Then there is: Pica,  GeophagiaPlumbophagia,  Trichophagia,  Pagophagia,  Amylophagia,  Lithophagia,  Cautopyreiophagia,  Acuphagia,  Coprophagia,  Xylophobia, Geomelophagia, Mucophagy, Gooberphagia, and Ortharexia nervosa. 
Our society is raising us to think this way. These thoughts are repeatidly enforced  into our minds. 
We can't walk past a reflective surface without looking at ourselves. With passing thoughts of judgement.
We are raised to be the worst critics of ourselves physically. We think thoughts that destroy our self-esteem. We go without proper nutrition for days in hopes of losing a few pounds.
In all honesty...I'm no different.
My mind has been programmed as everyone else's. I have struggled with these problems as I find most have at least for a short period. I should understand the danger. I once had a friend who was on the verge of self0desruction, almost on her death bed to lose weight. When people noticed she didn't eat, she would eat and then throw up in plastic bottles which she hid in her room.
These stories should haunt us. Forworn us, stop us from making the same mistake. However we find hapiness in our outer appearance.
Not to mention we are constantly being judged by others, strangers and often even by our friends. These judgements only add to our pre-existing doubts, they confirm all we thought bad about ourselves. When all this adds up we take action or lack of. We stop eating. We eventually lose weight which brings fleeting hapiness.
However this fleeting hapiness makes us happy none the less. The lose of weight enforces of the idea that it is okay not to eat. The lose of weight not only brings happiness but acceptance. Acceptance into a society or clones, and nobodies, and people who don't matter. If I have to be a certain weight, fuck them. If I have to think and do everything the same way, fuck that.
However I have my faults. I have failed too before. I mean have you ever gone 3 days without eating? Our answers don't always make us proud.
However these thoughts were implanted in our minds... they might destroy us. Destroy all individuality, all the rounds blocks that don't fit into square holes.

No comments:

Post a Comment