Sunday, October 17, 2010

Souvenirs of God

Souvenirs of God. This theory or idea or passing thought was one put forth by my friend.
That each sunrise and sunset is a souvenir of God. Then we debated God. It didn't necessarily have to be God, but some spirit, something more, some energy. Each beautiful beginning and ending of the day was a gift, a remembrance, a relic, a reminder of something more, something greater than solely us.
I have doubts. I think everyone at some point has doubts or questions which cannot be answered. We ask them to provoke thought. I believe the answer must come from us. There is no one answer that we all must find but each of us must find our own.
Religion is belief in a supreme being or beings, a belief in God or gods. It is practiced through faith, obedience, prayer, and worship. There are thousands of religions which each offerr a different answer, a different god, a different ending.
I apprectiate the idea that each sunrise and sunset is a souvenir or gift or reminder becuase it's birth is under no religion. I'd like to believe in something fully. I appreciate the idea of belief, the idea of a mass of people believing the same set of ideas, the gathering to worship or pray together. The gathering to worship is no more beautiful than the gathering to watch the sunrise together, the beginning of a new day. I find beauty in the church but no answers to my doubts.
However, I will never stop looking.

2 comments:

  1. I believe in the concept of faith more strongly than I believe in the concept of religion. I am a professed Catholic, and no qualms about it. I guess some diehards would call me a "liberal Catholic", for I believe that I can find God as easily in a sunset as I can in a church. It's not about where the Divine whispers to you, it's simply the fact that It does.

    ReplyDelete