Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Streets of Calpan


Your first question might be where is Calpan? Well it is a rural town in Mexico. Most of the people depend on the land and growing crops, more specifically corn. The majoirty of streets are not paved. The houses are typical Mexican style and to be blunt run-down. However, they provide the shelter their owners seek. 
I lived in Calpan, Mexico only for 5 days. I slept on the floor, went without showering, ate the local food and worked in the field. In my spare time which I spent with my friends I looked at my feet. 
While looking at feet, I looked at the ground. It became normal to see garbage scattered throughout the town. The roads were filled with broken glass and fragments of tiles.
This is the collection of things I found. Tiles from recent construction, half a marble, broken glass and a piece of a coke bottle.
I believe that these fragments of what use to be describe my time in Calpan more than the pictures, or memories, or writings. These fragments capture Calpan for me. I must point out that no one understoodd why I was collecting these tiles and glass off the ground. Even after explaining first in Spanish and then in English no one understood. However, this I have found is okay. It is okay becuase I understand why. These fragments of tiles and broken glass mean soemthing to me. I can't say exactly what. You may never understand and I may never understand fully. Ni importa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment